Friday, February 27, 2009

Florida in February (or why traveling for work sometimes really isn't all that bad)


This past week my work travel took me to Gainesville (University of Florida), Tampa (University of South Florida), and Orlando (University of Central Florida).

Besides the sunshine and delicious 70-degree weather, here are a few other reasons why my glass was more than half full (or palm tree was more than half grown?) in Florida:

1. Spanish moss dripping from the treetops:




2. A cool-cat jazz professor/saxophonist who gave us free CDs: I especially recommend the "Singin' in the Rain" track from "Ridge Lines".

3. Sensational sushi. If you're ever in Tampa, run, don't walk, to Samurai Blue Sushi in Centro Ybor for the Blue Moon roll.

4. This view from my ($50!) hotel room:



5. Random campus oddities, like this:



6. The well-intentioned efforts of the anthropology department to keep us out; but not to worry, we so got in.



7. Not being in the office = getting to traipse through settings like this one (at UF):



Next up: Missouri, where I will do my very best not to shoot eye darts at the football stadium ...

No comments: