Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A New Normal

I have never had such an about-face with a show as I have had with Next to Normal.

When I saw last year's Off-Broadway production (at Second Stage), I walked away from the theater feeling not only disappointed, but downright angry. And the people who know me well would tell you that I don't typically get all riled up about theater; even when I'm writing a less-than-glowing review, I'm the optimist looking for the silver, quasi-artistic lining peeking through the murky clouds.

But the Next to Normal that sprang up in New York last year--with its cloying, flip depictions of grief and mental illness--made me furious. Especially in the new voices of contemporary musical theater, we need stories that address tough issues and parse tricky human behavior. But not with jazz hands.

So even though I had heard that the recent out-of-town revision (at Arena Stage, in Washington, D.C.) had snagged some excellent reviews, I literally groaned when I heard that the show was planning to transfer back to New York (and on Broadway!?!?). But I have friends who have been disciples of this show from the beginning (and have seen it 6 or more times), so I decided to give it another chance.

And BAM! POW! KAZAM! am I ever glad I did. (Although that music will likely NEVER get out of my head ...)

Show Business Weekly Review: Next to Normal

No comments: