Friday, May 4, 2007

Brains, Brecht, and Brooklyn

I'm set to review a handful of musicals this weekend:

Tonight is a revival of William Finn's funny and fantastical musical A New Brain, presented by the Astoria Performing Arts Center. They're producing the show at the Variety Boys & Girls Club in Astoria, and it's definitely a treat to be able to walk from my apartment to a theater! I reviewed APAC's very well-done production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile last fall, and their production of Forever Plaid nabbed some IT Award nominations last year. This is a company to watch, and it's exciting to have a theater group on my home turf.

Tomorrow I have a Broadway double feature, and I feel incredibly spoiled! First up is the Manhattan Theatre Club's LoveMusik, a new musical about the tempestuous romance of Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya, embodied by Broadway stars Michael Cerveris and Donna Murphy. Click here for a fascinating interview with the show's director, the legendary Harold Prince.

Then I head to Studio 54 for the Roundabout's revival of 110 in the Shade, starring the magnificent Audra McDonald, who took home 4 Tony Awards before she turned 30. It's been a while since she's been on Broadway, and this should be a thrilling (and damp) homecoming. Also featured in the cast is Christopher Innvar, who played Floyd in the original cast of Off-Broadway's Floyd Collins.

Sunday I head out to Brooklyn to review the Gallery Players' revival of Victor/Victoria, a musical about which I know very little, other than the fact that Julie Andrews once played the famously gender-ambiguous title role.

Such a wide range of characters, music, and subject matter!

No comments: