Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Home at the End of the World (on Coney Island)

Monday night I saw Ethan Lipton's new play "Goodbye April, Hello May" at the HERE Arts Center in Soho. My review is the offoffonline Pick of the Week.

In this taut, evocative character study of five roommates living in an apartment on Coney Island circa 2107, Lipton imagines cultural shifts that may or may not surprise you--developers putting luxury condos on Ellis Island, 50 as the new 40, a constant normalized threat of violence. Most chilling, however, is how he captures the impending shredding away of relationships and interconnection.

New Yorkers have certainly always been a strange and unique breed, but neurotic narcissism peaks precariously in many of these relationships, and the tragedy evolves from watching the characters attempt to salvage slippery fragments of warmth and love.

All in all, it's pretty bleak, but worth watching for the cast's splendid performances and the graceful direction of Patrick McNulty.

Lipton is particularly adept at capturing the love/hate relationships many New Yorkers maintain with their city. Gibson Frazier is a standout as the sardonic Frank, and when he moves to the country, he has this to say:

"When I got to New York, I'll never forget, I said, I'm going to give it a try. I am New York's to lose. If it wants me, I'll stay. If it doesn't, I'll go. I told New York my position. And New York said: There aren't enough words to describe how little I care about you."

It's nice to know that, at least according to Lipton's crystal ball, some things will never change.

Pictured: Kelly Mares, Bill Coelius, Albert Aeed, and Gibson Frazier [Photo Credit: Heather Phelps-Lipton]

No comments: