Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I Can See for Miles and Miles

You might recognize Mare Winningham from her iconic role in "St. Elmo's Fire" or, more recently, her poignant turn as Meredith's stepmother on "Grey's Anatomy," but you haven't seen Mare Winningham at her best until you've seen her current tour-de-force in the new musical "10 Million Miles." As a supporting player (her program credit lists her as, simply, "The Women"), Winningham creates a handful of the most believable, genuine, and authentic women you'll ever see on a stage, often for only a couple minutes at a time. Each woman is a fully-realized study that deserves her own musical (writers, take note!), and let's hope we see their conduit back on stage again soon. Very soon!

In the meantime, head to the Atlantic Theater (home last summer to that little-show-that-could, "Spring Awakening") and catch a glimpse of some undeniably honest theatrical artistry. And check out my review here.

Pictured: Mare Winningham, Irene Molloy, and Matthew Morrison

1 comment:

sharpstowninthecity said...

AmyK! You totally pinned this one down....Mare Winningham is my new hero and her "I'm making pies" was definitely one of the most brilliant, wish-it-wouldn't-end moments in theatre I've ever experienced. I may like her more than Donna! Woot. I love love love your writing and your review for this was beautiful! So glad I found your blog again! :) ps....when I saw this, William H. Macy was there! :)