Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bucking the System

I'm doing a bit of freelance copyediting work for a fantastic, hip legal publishing company I used to work for in Houston, and I never cease to be amused by some of the mischief people get up to these days. Even funnier is the stern legal jargon conjured up to describe it.

I just finished editing a chapter on "Animal Actions," and as you can imagine, there were the requisite cases on dog bites, bee stings, and rabid hogs (this is Texas, after all). But most hilarious to me was this summation of one particular case:

"Owner claimed he had no knowledge horse named 'Buck' had propensity to buck."

I don't know the specific circumstances surrounding the case, but apparently the owner made a good one: it was deemed that he wasn't liable for Buck's bucking his rider. Hmmm. Good thing I didn't name my cat "Hiss." Or "Scratch." Thankfully, the sophisticated Bardot would much rather sit and look at the Empire State Building.

No comments: