Monday, August 13, 2007

Tru-ly Marilyn

The Fringe is flying in New York, which for me means my yearly gorge on theater: I've reviewed five shows in three days, with another coming later this week.

My hands-down favorite thus far is A Beautiful Child, a sleek and delicate adaptation of an essay by Truman Capote. It chronicles an afternoon Capote spent trolling around the city with a certain insecure actress named Marilyn Monroe. Exceptional performances ground this simple, frothy, and ultimately moving theatrical treat. My review has been posted, and you can read more about the show at its official website.

I also caught The Jazz Messenger, a drama about an American jazz trumpeter imprisoned by a German officer in France during World War II. It's not the most stirring theatrical experience, but there is an excellent jazz quartet on hand to provide underscoring and accompaniment.

Look here soon for reviews of Williamsburg! The Musical, Show Choir! The Musical, Farmer Song: The Musical, and Piaf: Love Conquers All.

Pictured are Truman Capote and Marilyn Monroe and the actors who play them: Joel Van Liew and Maura Lisabeth Malloy.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Your pretty blog has inspired me to start my own ... Nice to see you the other day at the Bleecker Street Theatre! :)