Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Chamber(s) Musical


Who ever said politics isn't theatrical? This week, Nebraska Senator Ernie Chambers announced that he is suing God--yes, that's right, he's suing GOD.

When I was in high school in Nebraska, I thought Ernie Chambers was divine inspiration itself--always controversial, and dedicatedly provocative, he would endlessly filibuster bills he didn't agree with, and give lengthy orations to stir up heated discussions. When he arrived to speak at our Close-Up Club's town hall event, I was mesmerized by his articulate arguments--and the fact that irreverently wore a T-shirt with tuxedo shirt screenprinted across it.

In the fire of adolescence, I was all for risky debate, and I had recently published an article that sharply criticized Rush Limbaugh in our local newspaper. In response, I was thrilled to receive my first "hate mail"--letters scrawled in the shaky hands of elderly Limbaugh supporters who warned me that I had severly misstepped my bounds. Far from discouraging me, the disapproving correspondence only enlivened my determination to speak my mind.

But although Chambers inspired me then, I'm not sure how I feel about his tactics now. He is suing God, he claims, in order to make a point about frivolous lawsuits and archaic legalities. I'm unconvinced--doesn't this just waste even more time? And this is the same man who, not too long ago, recommended the racial segregation of Omaha school districts. Isn't there a better way to put Nebraska on the map? In any case, I'm keeping an eye on my home state. Whither the faux tuxedo?

No comments: