Sunday, September 9, 2007

Filling a Need

This scene may look like something out of your worst nightmare.


It doesn't faze me, but then again, I grew up with a dentist that I could trust: my father. He always teased me mercilessly, but I also knew he would take good care of me. I never hesitated to yelp, "Dad, that hurts!"; he never hesitated to spray me and my siblings in the face with water.

Over the weekend my dad participated in Nebraska's third annual Mission of Mercy, a gathering of hundreds of people to provide free dental care for anyone in need of it. The event took place over two days; on Friday, over 700 people received treatment, including everything from basic check-ups to fillings to denture work. During the first two hours alone, the dentists performed over $40,000 worth of work. People actually camped out overnight to be first in line.

This year's event was held in Norfolk, my hometown, and my hard-working, generous, and always witty dad got to help with much of the planning and set-up. Previous locations have included North Platte and Grand Island, and next year the Mission of Mercy heads out west to Scottsbluff. It's amazing what a group of dedicated individuals can accomplish; I'm sure a lot of Nebraskans are now feeling much more comfortable--if a bit numb--in the jaw.

More photos from the event:


Dr. K. with Jan, one of his excellent dental assistants, and Cheryl, his fearless office manager (and no, I don't think she injured her arm yanking any teeth):


Hard at work:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me so nervous that my body is shaking, my hands are sweating, and I just let out a little pee.